Skip to main content
more options

To Do List

Items are required unless noted otherwise.

First Things First
Return by your school's deadline

Return by your school's deadline

Accept Admission Offer

Activate your NetID as soon as you receive it


  1. Receive email (at admissions email address) that NetID was created
  2. Graduate Students: log in with your ApplyWeb credentials to activate your NetID and email
  3. Johnson, Law and Vet Students: If text messaging activation is available, attempt or wait for postal delivery. Then activate your NetID and Cornell email account at
  4. Check email regularly for official university communications

Activate NetID & Cornell Email Address

Your Cornell NetID is your key to secure online services at Cornell. You will need it to view and pay your bursar (tuition) bill, add and drop courses, check financial aid awards and more. Your Cornell email address will be used for official university announcements.

Beginning March 31, as soon as the university receives your response to your offer of admission, and deposit if your program requires one, you will receive an email (at your admissions email address) that your NetID was created and what to expect next. You are expected to activate your NetID and Cornell email account immediately.

Johnson School students: once you have activated your NetID, please visit

For more information, visit NetID & Email.

Learn after activating NetID

You will see your Cornell ID # in the To Do List only when you are able to login with your NetID and password.

Memorize Your Cornell ID #

All new students must memorize their 7 digit Cornell ID #.

This is your unique personal identifier at Cornell. It will be printed on your Cornell ID card. You will be required to use it for:

  • forms
  • exams
  • paying your bill
  • security verifications and more.

Your Cornell ID # is different than your Cornell NetID.
Your NetID consists of your initials plus a number. You use it, along with a password, to obtain secure access to online services at Cornell.

For campus housing, apply by May 1 or as soon as possible


  1. Submit housing application by May 1 or as soon as possible
  2. Review housing assignment
  3. Sign housing contract online (NetID required)

Housing Options

Whether you're a single student or have a spouse, partner, or family, our friendly housing complexes, convenient dining options, and abundance of supportive resources will ensure that you feel at home while pursuing your academic interests.

Learn more about your housing options—and apply for housing—at There is no deadline to apply for graduate and professional student housing, but it is recommended that you submit your application before May 1.

Learn more about Off-Campus Housing.

Enroll in a plan by May 1


Dining/Meal Plan Enrollment

Review your dining options at and enroll in a plan by May 1.

In addition to the traditional meal plans, be sure to check out City Bucks - a pre-paid declining balance account accessed through your Cornell Student ID Card that eliminates the need to carry cash at many off-campus locations.

Submit by July 10

Submit by July 10

Student ID Card Request

If you have a current, working Cornell Student ID Card, you do not need to get a new one. Once we create a new card for you, your current card will stop working.

Depending on your relationship to the university and the services that you sign up for, your ID card can also be used as an electronic door key and to access a variety of functions and facilities on campus, including athletic events, CornellCard charges, dining units, fitness centers, libraries, and transportation services.

Access form: Student ID Card Request

As soon as possible

International Students: Additional Requirements

If you are not a United States citizen or permanent resident, you may need to obtain F-1 student visa status in order to study at Cornell.

Please read the International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO) guide for newly accepted international students. Complete the requirements to get your F-1 certificate of eligibility (called an "I-20") and F-1 entry visa stamp as soon as possible!

Submit by August 1


  1. Submit your final, official transcript in person to your Student Service Representative at the Graduate School by August 1, 2014:
    ATTN: Graduate School Admissions
    Cornell University
    143-B Caldwell Hall
    Ithaca NY 14853-2602
  2. Or, if there is not time to mail your documents to the Graduate School before you arrive on campus, you may submit them in person at Graduate Orientation (Monday, August 25, 2014) or at the Graduate School's Student Services Office, 143 Caldwell Hall.

Graduate School Students:
Submit Official Transcript for Previous Degree(s)

Students offered admission by a graduate field must submit a final, official transcript of their undergraduate degrees to the Graduate School. Please mail transcripts to Graduate School Admissions as soon as your degree is marked as conferred or awarded.

If you attended an undergraduate institution outside the U.S.A., and its primary language of instruction is not English, you must submit a copy of the diploma and a certified translation of all documents if they are not already in English.

Please note: all transcripts and/or diplomas that you submitted with your application for admission are retained by the admitting field. The Graduate School needs an additional official copy.

Getting Ready
Health & Community
Submit by June 10 (postmark deadline)


  1. Log in and review instructions now
  2. Obtain copy of your immunization history and schedule a physical
  3. Fill out form online, submit, and print
  4. Take printed form to health care provider for information/signatures related to physical exam and immunizations
  5. Mail signed form by June 10
  6. Check updated compliance status here

Health History & Immunization Compliance

There are a number of steps involved in this process that may take several weeks to complete. Please log in now to read the instructions. This will give you the opportunity to plan the actions you must take to complete your form, submit it by the deadline, and avoid penalties and registration delays.

Access form: Health History Form

Submit by June 10


  • Submit by June 10 or earlier
    (By May 15 for housing accommodations)
  • Send disability documentation to:

    Student Disability Services
    Cornell University
    420 CCC
    Ithaca NY 14853-6601

Request for Disability Services and Accommodations

If you have a disability requiring accommodation, please complete this form and return it, along with your disability documentation, to Student Disability Services (SDS).

Accessible Housing Requests: Housing requests and supporting documentation should be submitted to SDS by May 15.

Access form: Request for Disability Services and Accommodations

Submit by July 10

Submit by July 10

Fitness Centers Enrollment

Cornell Fitness Centers provide safe, convenient, effective, and enjoyable exercise programs with five centers located around campus, more than 80 group exercise classes each week, and an extensive variety of cardio and weight equipment.

Access form: Fitness Centers Enrollment

Submit by July 10

Submit by July 10

Spiritual Life at Cornell

Cornell United Religious Work (CURW) coordinates the programs of the major religious traditions that sponsor communities at Cornell. The member groups of CURW sponsor services, social and cultural events and lectures. We are available to counsel you and your family in times of crisis.

Access form: Spiritual Life at Cornell

Available July 1

Available July 1

Get a Big Red Sports Pass

The free Big Red Sports Pass gives you access to all home athletic contests (except men's ice hockey) at no cost. Sign up for the 2014-15 pass beginning July 1. Once you sign up, the service activates on your Cornell ID Card.

Action required for optional programs and appeal process


  1. Details about the 2014-15 SHIP and appeal process available in late June
  2. Deadline for appeal: September 30
  3. Deadline for enrolling in optional dental/vision plans or enrolling dependents: September 30

Health Insurance

ALL STUDENTS are required to have quality health insurance that meets Cornell's requirements. Every graduate and professional student will be automatically enrolled in Cornell's Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). The premium will be reflected on your July Bursar bill. The SHIP coverage period is August 17, 2014 through August 16, 2015.

FULLY-FUNDED graduate students: you will see a credit in the same amount from your field of study on the July or August Bursar bill.

SELF-PAY graduate and professional students:

  • International students: You do not need to do anything about this item because Cornell requires all international students to be covered by the Cornell SHIP.
  • Domestic students: If you have other insurance that meets Cornell's requirements, and do not want the SHIP, you must file an application to appeal the SHIP requirement


  • benefits and coverage provided to SHIP members
  • enrolling in optional dental and vision plans
  • enrolling spouses, domestic partners, and children in SHIP
  • appeal application and instructions

Summer 2014

Update Primary & Emergency Contact Addresses

Did you move? Did your mailing address change? Cornell must have an accurate mailing address to ensure you receive critical information. Confirm & update your address so you don't miss important information.

Before you activate NetID
Contact the Graduate School to report an address change.

After activating NetID
Visit Student Center at to make sure that all of your information including addresses and emergency contact/notification are correct.

Submit by July 10

Submit by July 10

Bursar Disclosure Statement

Read the Initial Disclosure Statement, the Retail Installment Agreement and the important information regarding your rights to dispute billing errors on this form. When you submit the statement, a copy will be sent to your email address for your records.

Access form: Bursar Disclosure Statement

Submit by July 10

Submit by July 10

CornellCard Enrollment

The CornellCard account is a service that allows you to make purchases by presenting your Cornell Student ID card. This service can help you manage your day-to-day expenses without having to carry large amounts of cash.

Access form: Apply for CornellCard (NetID required)

Pay by August 7

Enroll in Net.Pay and Pay Your Tuition Bill

Bursar bills are electronic, via Net.Pay, paper bills will not be sent.

  1. Activate your Cornell NetID and email address.
  2. Sign up for Net.Pay beginning July 13. You will need your Cornell ID number. You will not be able to view or pay your tuition bill without enrolling in Net.Pay.
  3. Pay your tuition bill by August 7. The August bill including fall semester tuition will be available via Net.Pay on July 13.

For more information including a complete bill schedule, visit the Bursar website.

Before You Arrive & Orientation
Available August 1

Transit Access, Parking Permits, Bicycle Registration

Transit Access: All registered students can use their CU ID card to ride TCAT public transit buses free of charge during evenings (after 6 pm) and weekends. Unlimited-ride access can be purchased from Transportation Services beginning August 1.

Parking Permits: Parking on campus is restricted to permit or payment. Beginning August 1, students can register their vehicle (required; free) and purchase a parking permit (optional; price varies) for their residential area or a commuter lot prior to their arrival.

Bikes: Bicycle registration (free) is mandatory if you ride or store a bike on campus.

Available August 19

Check Registration Status

Beginning August 19, the university will update your registration status on Student Center.

Log in to Student Center (NetID required) to make sure that you have no holds preventing your university registration. Even if you do not have holds, you should still attend your Check-In Event to pick up your Cornell ID Card.

Dates vary depending on school; expand for details

Attend Your Check-In Event

Graduate School Orientation
Monday, August 25, Barton Hall - 8:30 am-12:30 pm
ID Distribution, Resource Fair, and Graduate School Information

Johnson Graduate School of Management
Class of 2016 Arrival, Check-In and Welcome Reception
Sunday, August 3, 2014
Dyson Atrium, Sage Hall

LLM Student Registration and Check-In
Monday, August 11, 10:30 am-12:00 pm
Myron Taylor Hall

Law School Student (J.D.) Mandatory "Three-Step" Registration
Monday, August 25, 9:00 am-12:00 pm
Myron Taylor Hall

College of Veterinary Medicine New Student Orientation
Monday, August 18, 8:00 am
Atrium, Vet Education Center